EMP FiL-11 Brushless Electric Fan
Mini-Hybrid® systems feature the EMP FiL-11 fan. This electric fan is brushless, variable speed, reversible, and built from a cast aluminum shroud that can withstand even the harshest environments.
EMP FiL-15 Brushless Electric Fan
Mini-Hybrid® systems feature the EMP designed and built FiL-15 fan. This electric fan is brushless, variable speed, reversible, and housed in a cast aluminum shroud to withstand the harshest environments.
Aluminum Heat Exchangers
Heat exchangers on Mini-Hybrid® series coolers are severe duty, aluminum bar-plate construction cores, cast aluminum welded on tanks and wave fins optimized for the EMP fans. The heat exchangers are mounted to allow removal without having to remove the entire cooling system.
Increased Available Engine Horsepower
Any engine power used for cooling is directly subtracted from the horsepower available for driving the wheels, hydraulics, PTOs, etc. The MH series of electrified coolers manage temperatures while consuming much less power than a system cooled by a belt-driven fan or hydraulic fan. Data available upon request.
Integrated Wiring Harness
All Mini-Hybrid® series systems contain an integrated wiring harness assembly with features:
- Harness materials selected for automotive/heavy equipment environments.
- Connectors are IP69k rated.
- Terminals crimp per SAE/CAR-21.
- EMP TMC interfaces with J1939.
- EMP Link (LIN/ISO) used for fan communication to EMP TMC.
- External connections include power, ground, ignition, J1939 CAN, diagnostic LED and manual reverse switch.
All Mini-Hybrid® series systems are custom designed for specific vehicle application.
- Welded steel, durable powder coated frame assembly.
- Aluminum bar/plate heat exchangers.
- 4th generation designs now available.
- DV/PV Qualified (185 unique validation procedures to production launch).
- Shock tested to a 20 GPK specification.
- Salt spray tested to ASTM B117.
Patented Baffle Design
All Mini-Hybrid® systems utilize individual fan baffles for airflow management during regular operation. Allows individual fan control and sequential start up for greater cooling control in both hot and cold temperatures.
Thermal Management Controller
Mini-Hybrid® series systems include an EMP Thermal Management Controller (TMC) with hardware/software designed in house. The TMC receives inputs from sensors, engine, transmission, hybrid drive and vehicle. It uses multiple algorithms to interpret inputs and provides optimal thermal control to the system and complete system diagnostics.
In the event that vehicle communication is unavailable, all Mini-Hybrid® series systems are designed with a fail-safe mode of "fans on" to allow the vehicle to continue to operate. The EMP TMC diagnostics will log the event for troubleshooting.
The EMP TMC system controller monitors vehicle speed to reduce fan RPM when the vehicle is stopped or at low speed conditions to reduce noise. All cooling parameters continue to be monitored to blend engine/trans/hybrid drive temperature protection with the Curbside Quiet algorithm.
Heat Exchanger Cleanout
Air flow can be reversed periodically as a part of routine vehicle maintenance. This helps keep the heat exchanger cooling fins free of debris and functioning properly. Fan reverse can be controlled by a manual push button, as a timed event, by ignition on or by J1939 request.
Fans on Mini-Hybrid® series systems are individually speed controlled by the EMP TMC system controller. This allows for optimal thermal management, supports specialized features and helps to prevent heat exchanger clogging in dirty environments.
Mini-Hybrid® systems can be configured to allow for simple installation on most vehicles. Units are available in both pusher and puller configurations to maximize mounting location adaptability. Control strategy can be configured as:
- Engine/trans/hybrid drive temperature set points (thermistor or J1939 input)
- Number of fans (max 24)
- Dual EMP Link allocation
- Heat exchanger allocation
- Hysteresis for fan speeds
- Fan speed set points
- Engine compartment temperature control
- Default fan speed
- Fan off for engine warmup
- Fan reverse (cleanout)
- External fan speed request (engine bay cooling, transmission fluid,…)
- Customizable for specialty features
On Mini-Hybrid® series coolers, the system controller receives and interprets temperature (engine coolant, intake manifold, and oil) sensor feedback (via CAN J1939) and drives the fan(s) as necessary to maintain an optimal temperature. This eliminates overheating and overcooling due to changes in ambient temperature and cooling demand.
- Unique calibrations for each engine/trans combination.
- Individual fan control.
- Radiator, CAC, Trans cooler individual strategies.
- Sequential fan startup up.
All MiniHybrid® systems are compatible with:
- 12V and 24V
- EMP Service Tool using common RP1210 compliant data link adapters (examples: Cummins inline, Nexiq, etc.)
- J1939 CAN
- 250k baud fixed
- 500k baud fixed
- 1M baud fixed
- Auto detect baud rate
- Supports messages for Secondary OBD Device
Proprietary Service Tool
MH systems utilize in house developed proprietary service tool. Includes:
- EMPower Connect
- Real time dashboard
- History download
- Real time data logger
- Active/Inactive faults
- Field calibration software updates
- Field base software updates
- Failsafe reflash ensured by bootloader software
- History Analysis Tool (HAT)
- Analyze history data captured with EMPower Connect
- Data Analysis Tool (DAT)
- Analyze real time data captured with EMPower Connect
- Field refurb programming and test station available
- EMP J1939 Bus Monitor (CAN sniffer) available for root cause analysis
World Class Service/Support
All Mini-Hybrid® systems include free software for diagnostics as well as history data collection. There are regional service representatives in place for onsite support and training as well as on-line training available for mechanics and technicians.